We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
What is Modern Farmhouse style? How is it different from traditional farmhouse? All great questions that we will discuss in this Utilimate Guide to Modern Farmhouse.
What is Modern Farmhouse Style?
Made popular by Joanna Gaines on her hit HGTV show Fixer Upper, Modern Farmhouse style is everywhere right now. Designers throughout the country and the world are having clients demanding it’s sleek clean lines and warm cozy farmhouse touches.
Let's start with some of the attributes of Modern Farmhouse style:
- Simple but not too bare.
- It has a unique mix of antique/vintage pieces with modern or industrial that gives each room balance.
- With mostly neutral colors as the background, you will use texture to give the room interest. The mixture of a leather or linen sofa, rustic wood tables with metal accents will keep the all-neutral color scheme from getting boring.
- The cool thing about Modern Farmhouse and what I think makes it so popular is that you can add your own spin on it to give your rooms a unique feel. Add some Boho Chic to give it a California relaxed feel. See how I added a bit of Boho style to my entry here.
For a more detailed summary of what it takes to pull off Modern Farmhouse Style in total check out my post here.
Modern Farmhouse Exterior
Modern Farmhouse crisp black and white exteriors have a very distinct look. Characterized by the clean, straight, simple lines and minimal ornamentation make it a favorite of many who are looking to build or remodel a home.
Attributes of Modern Farmhouse exteriors include:
- Gabled roof with steep pitches
- Black windows
- Standing seam metal roof – often black
- Lapboard or board and batten siding – or if you are remodeling – painted brick
- Solid white exterior – not required but extremely popular – but it must be one color.
- Open porches
- Double Hung windows – and lots of them for natural light
- House has a pieced together look that has happened over time
Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Design
One of my favorite rooms in the modern farmhouse style is the kitchen. Let’s look at the attributes that make this big bright open room stand out.
- Shaker style cabinets – mostly white or mix it up with a natural wood island and neutral painted cabinets
- Carrerra marble is the most popular but butcher’s block and grey or white stone will work too – as long as you maintain clean lines.
- Big over-sized islands – the hub for the family and center of the house.
- Free-standing range hoods
- farmhouse apron sinks – choose white porcelain, stainless steel, or copper
- mixed metal hardware – mix brass pulls with Stainless steel appliances
- Backsplash – again maintaining the clean minimal lines – white subway tile is always a favorite
See the complete post on my Modern Farmhouse Kitchen here.
Furniture and Design
When finding just the right pieces to furnish your Modern Farmhouse home, remember to carefully pull together mismatched pieces that are comfortable yet functional. Mixing antique and vintage pieces such as mid-century modern sideboard and an antique farmhouse table, to give each room a pulled-together over time look. Never using matched sets of cased pieces such as a dining set.
Remember to keep your decor simple and uncluttered focus on finding just the right pieces that are special to you and your family.
Here are some pointers when looking for Modern Farmhouse decor.
- use warm and calming neutral colors with lots of texture
- use leather or linen for your upholstered pieces
- mix in wood tables and wrought iron fixtures and hardware – lighting
- use as much organic and natural materials as possible
- find simple artsy decor, not crafty which would lean more traditional farmhouse
- use furniture and accessories from different eras and styles such as – mid-century, antique, Scandinavian and boho chic.
Thanks for stopping by! If you are as obsessed with Modern Farmhouse Style as I am stay tuned for my upcoming E-Book Release.
Have a Blessed Day!